Don't you think this display is pretty cool!! I thought so! I love decorating for any holiday, especially for fall/winter Holiday's. Makes the season more seasonal. Ha.
Anyways, I happened to fall on this picture one day and thought, okay I'm SO doing this!!!! Then I forgot all about it. And then once again, a year or two later, while trying to find fun, easy, cheap ways to decorate your house for Halloween this picture popped up.. wouldn't you say it's fate? Just kidding.
Well I ended up having all the stuff to make them so why not do it?
But I wanted to share how to do them, just in case you think this is just as cool as I do... that or I'm just lame like that.
So moving forward these are the ingredients/ supplies you'll need:
Salt.
Lemons or Lemon juice
Apples
Water
A knife
A bowl
A potato peeler
(optional) Cloves
Fill the bowl with luke-warm water. Add about 2 tablespoons of salt And 2 tablespoons of Lemon juice, or squeeze two lemon wedges into the water. Stir and set aside.
Now peel your apples, leave the stem on.
Now carve a face out, in your apple. Make the features more pronounced, cause we will be drying the apples so everything will shrink. Oh and it doesn't have to be perfect either.
See, my happy, soon to be, shrunken head family. Make them different play with it have fun, be creative... There were some pretty awesome looking shrunken head apples and it was because they carved them a lot better than me, but I'm no sculptor, so this is going to have to work. But if you are great at sculpting have at it. :)
Here's the boring part... soaking it in your nice Salty, lemon bath you mixed at the beginning. For best results and to ensure you wont rot your apples, YUCK! Soak them for 24 hours.
Fast forward 24 hours...
Take the apples out of their bath and pat dry them with a towel. At this time if you want you can put some cloves in the eye sockets, it makes them look more sunken in and dark. Whatever you want to do to make it your own.
Now tie some string around the stem... It's shrinking time! Find a nice room away from any open/bright light and hang them to dry.
It takes any where from 2-3 weeks to dry them, just keep checking on them and watch them shrink away! You can also use a dehydrator or oven, but I always seem to ruin stuff using those sorts of appliances. So I'll take the long way.
My apples aren't done yet they still look like the one's in the picture... perhaps cause I just took that picture today! ha! So when they are done I will post a picture.
Happy Halloween

No comments:
Post a Comment