Mar 11, 2011

Missed Opportunity

Awhile ago I was having a discusion with a family member about religion, she and her husband grew up in the church, but fell away. I don't even know how the conversation started. One minute we were talking about preschool and the next they were telling how false the church is. It was like they were planning this, to take the opportunity to pounce at any given moment to tell me what they thought. Now I'm not one to be rude so I listened to what they were saying, laughing silently at their words of hate. Moments like these I wish I knew scripture and doctrine better then I do. But with them I couldn't get a single word in! It was frustrating to be put on the spot and to be gained up on for my belief. They tried to tell me there was no such language that the book of Mormon was written in and that Joesph Smith was making it up. They said that doctors, and linguistic professors  could not translate the language and said that it was a false language. They told me that the people in the Book of Mormon didn't even exist and that there is no proof of such people. And every time I'd open my mouth to tell them about the tower of Babel and the Mayans I'd be cut off and couldn't get a word in. Then they said how ridiculous it was to even think about Eternal life. Their exact words were, "They teach that we will be able to create our own worlds! How can that be possible that would mean that there are millions of worlds out their and that's just impossible

  




























































































































































































    


   


This is a picture taken from Hubble in 1995. It spent 10 days looking at this particular area in space. In that 10 days it took a picture of ten million different galaxy's. Ten million! In that one little area, space goes on for eternity so if you were to take this and times it by infinity, the galaxy's would go on FOREVER. Now how is that so hard to believe that we can live forever and become kings and Queens of our own world? They then went on saying, "I know how you feel, we felt the same way when people were talking to us about the falsness of the church, we felt uneasy and we didn't really listen, but then we decided that if we were to go to a church that we should really study it." I do agree with the last part, if you want to know more about something study it. But their next words they said to me really threw me for a loop. "The church tells you not to read Anti-Christ/LDS articles, and that's because they don't want you to know the truth about the church." While they said this I was yelling to them (In my head) WHAT! REALLY? Wow I can't believe they would even say this. They kept telling me all these things about what they've learned about the church while reading these books. I was laughing inside my head and thinking wow Satan really is cunning and deceiving. I've never heard such lies in my life. 
I know that this church is true, it's too perfect to not be true. Yes at time it's hard to be christ like and to follow the commandments, but that's what it's all about, we are here to be tried in all things. We are here to gain a knowledge of things, to be more like our Heavenly father. I have had times in my life where I'd question the church, but every time I'd be reminded by family, friends, and my own realization that this is true, that I am making the right choice. I am not perfect, but it's like that old story of the rough stone that is smoothed out from the rough waves of the ocean, and once it makes it's long journy to the shore it's perfectly round smooth and polished into a beautiful perfect rock. 
Even though I felt uncomfortable wile talking to these family members, I was glad for the opportunity. It reminded me just how strong I am in the church. My mom told me once that you will know when you are doing good cause that's when things will get bad, hard, and trying. How true that is for me. After that conversation I was thinking man if only they would have studied the Book of Mormon just as much as the other books they were reading they'd have the true word, they'd have the knowledge that I do. But you can never teach to those with closed hearts. I was saddened by my missed opportunity to bare my testimony. But I think that it was a challenge for me, so that I can see just how much the church means to me. I am truly blessed to have the gospel in my life, I'm so grateful for repentance, and I am especially grateful for eternity and that I can live with Greg, Aliesha, and McKenzie as well as all my other family! How great that day will be to go to the other side and know that I've known the truth and that I was not swayed. 
 Such a beautiful place! I LOVE going to this room and thinking that it's going to be even more beautiful in the Celestial kingdom. Something that always reminds me to do better so that I can see just how much more beautiful it can be.
I was sorry for not being able to share my feelings to this couple I was talking to, but it has opened this opportunity to tell all my friends and family and myself that I love The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints.

3 comments:

  1. I am very glad to hear your conviction and testimony and I am sorry for the person(s) that you talked to.

    Even though you feel bad for the missed opportunity of sharing it with them, to me it sounds like they are closed off and would not have listened anyway. Sometimes you need to go by what the scriptures say about casting your pearls in the midst of swine, they will basically trample over them.

    Sounds like Satan has a strong hold on these people and right now they would not treasure your testimony at all. Give it sometime, pray for them (a lot) and when the time is right you will have that opportunity again. In the meantime you can study and gain knowledge of the scriptures yourself, with that knowledge you can easily express what these people would need to learn or know.

    Again thanks for your beautiful testimony, it adds to mine and strenghtens me. Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your testimony. You may have had a missed opportunity with those friends of yours, but you just shared it with the entire blog world!

    Satan wants to destroy everything good in this world. Destroying people's faith is one of his number one goals. So sad that they fell so easily into temptation and doubt. Thank heavens you're stronger then they are. Hopefully they'll figure out something is missing in their lives and realize it's the spirit.

    I'm so grateful for the gospel too! It brings me so much happiness. I can't imagine going through this life not knowing the things that the gospel teaches. It truly makes me feel so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this Brie. I felt frustrated a lot like this on my mission. It can be so hard to know the truth and the pure reality of the gospel and not have people believe or even listen to you. It's especially hard when those people are the ones closest to you.

    Pray for them and Love them. Help them see the power of Christ's love and gospel through you. You have a great opportunity to be a great example to these people. Don't give up on them. :)

    Thank You for sharing such a beautiful story and the strong testimony you have. Love You! :)

    ReplyDelete